Thursday, August 2, 2012

Always a Girl Scout



"The thing about Hillary," a senior official in Bill Clinton's administration once told me privately, "is that she is always the Girl Scout."  Steve Lee Myers, New York Time Magazine July 1, 2012

Okay, so at first glance, I thought, "It's a compliment. She's a leader, well-spoken, has courage, confidence and character who wants to make the world a better place."

(No, this is not going to be a partisan post!  I'm not expressing any opinions about the President O'Bama, her job, politics, husband, etc.)

And then I read it again, and asked my sisters how they read it.  Both my younger sisters immediately said that it was meant pejoratively.  Sort of a slap back at HRC, that she goes out of her way to follow the administration's program and be a do-gooder.    Puts on a big smile and sells programs like a Girl Scout sells cookies, was another comment.

When asked to compile a brief description of her ethics or code to live by, my youngest sister said, "I was a Girl Scout for many years and continue–in my life and in my work–to follow a bowdlerized version of the Girl Scout Law, crossed with the Hippocratic oath: Be honest and fair, be responsible, and do no harm." 

Once a Girl Scout, always a Girl Scout. And I mean that in the absolute BEST possible sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments and questions. Answers will be in this section also.