Sunday, September 23, 2012

Take Actioin - get approved first!



Well, I knew I'd been busy:  plenty of changes in the last month....sold my kitchen, closed my catering business, moved office stuff and props to the house, and worked on Mom's accounts...oh, and volunteered with Girl Scouts!  Whew!  No excuse, but I think I just lost my rhythm of when to blog. Fixing that, as of today!

I've been hearing of many projects that girls are thinking about for their Gold Award Take Action Projects. Many of them are really nice service projects, but the vast majority are projects that hold to the standard of the Gold Award. These girls plan to Take Action and change the world. Or at least their small piece of it!

But I've also had odd things come up.  One was a girl who I interviewed a while ago.  She had a good start to her project, but she needed to flesh it out, get her team, and make it a more robust Take Action plan.  I didn't hear back, til out of the blue, I got her revisions, and I was surprised to learn that she had already started her project!   This is definitely not okay! Please remind your girls that they need to get the "green light" and be marked as "approved" BEFORE they may begin their Take Action.

I know that has been difficult for some, especially when their projects are so date dependent.  And this one did have a very near date for the roll-out.  We're working it out, and had she been approved at the last interviews, she would have had time to proceed in a systematic way.  But because she waited til the last minute to get her revised app back to me, which also involved me requesting more information, she was up against it.

We're working it out, but it is certainly not an ideal situation.  And if her original project had not changed, I would have been in the very awkward position of declining to approve her application, yet again, while she had already invested time and energy into it.  And that would have been really tough on both sides!

So, please, work with your girls to turn in good applications, and then work with them to get their required revisions (if any) back into the interviewer in a timely manner. It will just be so much less drama, all the way around!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments and questions. Answers will be in this section also.