Tuesday, October 30, 2012

ToGetHerBoating Success!

Yes, it was a mighty gray day in Newport last Sunday!  Actually, when we arrived at 7:30 a.m. to set-up, it was raining! Oh my!  

But did that stop us?  NO!  We started setting up, had girls taking a Swim Test in the Dunes Bay, worked the boat jockeys to get all our boats down to the shoreline, registered, and..... Then we had an Opening at 10:00.  I was able to point out that there was blue sky peeking inbetween the gray clouds, and within an hour, we were seeing sunshine.  

We didn't even pause!  The girls headed to their respective skills areas, and except for a half hour lunch break, we had boats on the water the whole day!  It was sooo great to see!  And we had girls trying new skills on the water.  There were several girls who went from, "no, I don't think I'll try that...." to "...I can't believe I kayaked and didn't even fall over!"  Or a couple girls who had never been on the water in any type of water craft, but they were willing to give it a try.  And they took to it like fish in water.  Hmmm...maybe I should have said, like a bird in the wind!  I couldn't believe how quickly they were moving across the bay.

So, you're probably wondering, how is this related to this Gold Award titled blog? Well, it's not about the Gold, to be sure. However, I think it is about the quality of girls we have in Scouting!  These girls have courage, confidence and character.  They want to try new things. They want to work with and meet other girls in a safe environment.  And they want to have fun.

What a great thing that they got to do it all on Sunday.  The icing on the cake is, I bet I see them in Gold Award interviews too.  Yep, it's a good thing!



(This is what it looked like at 2pm.  You'll have to believe me that all those sails beyond the dock were our girls on the water. As were all the canoes and kayaks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments and questions. Answers will be in this section also.