Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Peter Drucker knows all


Peter Drucker once said that the biggest curse a company can have is twenty years of success. It's true. Managers of successful firms tend to become complacent and even arrogant, assuming that past performance will continue....”

I read this quote in the HuffPost, and it struck me. Here we are with Girl Scouts:  turning 100 next year.  We’ve had national level challenges over the years, and we have not remained complacent, as we have reinvented all or part of ourselves over the years.  This last transformation being the Girl Scout Leadership Experience that we are in the midst of now.

Change is hard!  And I recall the first training I went to in GSLE:  even the trainers said it was horrible!!!!  It was a new language with new expectations that were waaaay different from my remembrances of being a girl in my Scout troops.  And sure enough, there was a part of me that said, well, it was good for me, and I turned out okay, so it should be good enough for all these girls, now, too.  (Yes, I know better!)

And the Gold Award Program is changing for the better!  While we still have girls working on the old Go For It! Gold requirements, by far, we are seeing more girls getting ready for the Journey Gold Path.  And it’s very exciting to see!

Yes, this transition has it’s bumpy parts, and yes, we leaders/advisors/
guides are sometimes waaay slower to change than the girls. But change we must to avoid the curse of stagnancy and complacency!  Truly, we are working on a local level to help move the GS movement forward on a national level.

And that’s a pretty humble way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments and questions. Answers will be in this section also.